Thursday, July 12, 2018

Day 21 - 06 July 2018 -Vilnius, LT - Day 4 - Performance Day

The day had finally come for the choir's performance with the mass choir. We didn't have to be to the meeting point until 2pm, so Angela and I headed off walking first to the central market and then wandering the streets of Old Town. The most interesting part of the walk was when we stumbled upon the artists colony with all sorts of pianos as part of displays. There was even one in the river! We found a bench along the river and had a little picnic lunch.  

We found the group at what we were told was the meeting point. A little while later another choir member came up to us and said the meeting point was changed to a little further away. So we moved there. I was told I couldn't walk with the choir in the parade to the fairgrounds, so I walked off and made great progress in walking to the venue location where I found a good vantage point from which I used our GOPRO to video many of the groups that passed by until some 2 hours later the Choral Sounds NW group finally showed up. From there I made my way into the seating area in from of the amphitheater. At the security check I was totally surprised that I couldn't take in my little remaining portion of potato chips. All I got was a stern "NO FOOD!". Later I saw lots of people with food that they must have snuck in. There was no firearms or other contraband check! Just food!

The concert was wonderful although I couldn't understand a word of it. It lasted about 3 1/2 hours and there was certainly a great display of patriotism in the final few numbers. Even the President of Lithuania was there and she greeted the crowd. And all too soon it was over.

We met at the meeting point and then made our way to the bus which whisked us to the center of the Old Town where we enjoyed a late dinner at the Casa Number 4 restaurant before sharing an UBER ride back to the hotel at 12:30am. Others were staying on to party and do kareoke. For us, tomorrow would be a long day as we decided to see the Malbork Castle in Malbork which is some 333 miles west of Vilnius. Due to the road conditions, it would be over an 8 hour ride, but would it be dry?  

No comments:

Post a Comment